Sunday, January 06, 2008

Home Sweet Home

Dear Family & Friends,

It's me, Karen, here updating for both of us as Jim will not have access to the internet for the next day or two.

I arrived home late last night...very tired but overjoyed to see the children! Jim and I arrived at the airport in Kiev at the exact time that our brother-in-law, Matt, was coming through the doors of customs--it was GREAT to see him and know that he had arrived safely and almost an hour early!! Jim, Matt and Helen helped me figure out how to get checked in and then sent me on my way...Oh it was so hard to say good-bye to Jim and know that I will not be a part of this final leg of our journey, but I know that God is in control and that He is doing so much more than we can see, and in that I take great comfort!

My flight to JFK from Ukraine was great and took just over 10 hours. I met some great people on the flight--a couple flying home to Florida with their newly adopted son and daughter (siblings--their second set), another couple who just happened to be the parents of a guy who works at the U.S. Embassy in Kiev--their son was our officer last year and is again this year!, and I also enjoyed talking w/the Ukrainian lady (from Texas) who sat next to me...all in all it was a great flight. After a few hours lay over I flew from JFK to Philly where my mom met me and drove me home.

I have talked w/Jim, and he said that he and Matt made it back to Tulchyn with no problems as well. He said that they took a short tour of Kiev while they waited for their late afternoon train to Vinnytsya and had a great time, despite the subzero temps! They arrived in Vinnytsya and Ruslan's brother, Roma, was there waiting for them. They stopped and had pizza--their last hurrah for other varieties of food until their time in Tulchyn is done--and Jim was loving it! They arrived in Tulchyn between 9:00 pm-10:00 pm. This morning they walked over to the orphanage to see Roma--Jim said he couldn't get there fast enough. Roma was so excited to see Jim and after he said his hellos to PaPa he bypassed Jim and went looking for Mama...but he found Matt instead :) and apparently backed up and came back to Papa! :) Jim said that it was different to not have me there but that Roma warmed up and he played great with him and Matt ...he also said that the workers did not allow him to feed Roma his lunch (not sure why) and so Jim was a little bummed about that since he had not seen him for 3 days. They were looking forward to going back later this evening.

Svetlana arrives tomorrow evening some time...The plan is for her to go to the courthouse in Tulchyn first thing Tuesday morning to pick up the "court's decision" (the official papers stating that the court allowed us to adopt Roma) and then they will head to Roma's birthtown (Lidizjan). Please pray for this trip to Lidizjan and for the person who will be issuing the copy of Roma's birth certificate. Pray that this person would accept the "special power of attorney" document that I had prepared in the U.S. and tranlated in Kiev. Pray for their safety as they travel and for swiftness.

Thank you for all your prayers for a safe trip home for me and a safe arrival for Matt...God was gracious and heard those prayers! Please keep in prayer Jim's sister, Wendy, Matt's wife, as she is at home caring for their 5 kids and holding down the fort. I would so appreciate your continued prayers for me as I have a lot of things I need to take care of before Jim and Roma come home. Please also pray for our kids as the transition that lies ahead is drawing nearer...pray for peace, patience and joy.

We love you all and are so grateful for your encouragement and faithful prayers--God is good!

Love,
Karen & Jim

Isaiah 43:2-3a--" When you pass through the waters, I will be with you; and through the rivers, they shall not overwhelm you;when you walk through fire you shall not be burned,and the flame shall not consume you. For I am the Lord your God,the Holy One of Israel, your Savior."

3 comments:

Janice said...

So glad all the travel connections worked out!! I know it must have been so hard to leave.

I love the verses a bit farther down in that 43rd chapter of Isaiah, "Bring my sons from afar, and my daughters from the ends of the earth--everyone who is called by my name, whom I created for my glory, whom I formed and made."

How wonderful it will be to bring this little "son from afar" HOME!!
Talk to you soon. Janice

Wendy said...

I loved hearing how Matt was doing, thanks Karen! I bet seeing Roma for the first time was so exciting and it will be etched in his mind and heart forever. I will be praying for your many things that need to be done before Jim and Roma come home. Please call with anything I can help with. God is so good. The kids are holding up great with the attention and help from many of our church family. Doug and Derek have both come to rough-play with the boys and they've really loved it. It's such a help to me as I am still restricted in my acitivities, so playing ball or wrestling is out of the question. I feel so lifted up and just joyful. What a blessing this whole experience has been...to soooo many! God's love is just pouring out of people. People who've been following Roman's Road for two years now are praying...people all over the place! I just love it!
In His Grip,
Wendy

Andrew W. said...

WELCOME HOME